prepositions and conjunctions: tips
1. Know that a preposition brings many senses in its meaning,
- Sense of position.
- Sense of time.
- Sense of direction.
- Other senses (there is a long list of them).
2. Note that a proposition has an object.
3. Learn the most important prepositions (senses for some of them come inside the brackets),
- to (direction) : a
- at (position) : a
- in (position) : in
- on (position) : su
- of (possession – direction) : di
- from (direction) : da
- for : per
- with : con
4. Learn some other prepositions of important usages are :
- by : entro
- except : eccetto
- without : senza
- until : fino a
- after : dopo
- before : prima di
- during : durante
5. Learn some preposition of place.
- over : su
- under : sotto
- above : sopra
- in front of : davanti a
- behind : dietro
- between : fra
- near : presso, vicino a
- far from : lontano da
- around : intorno a
6. Learn some preposition of time.
- before : avanti, prima di
- after : dopo
Method 2 of 3: Prepositions and Articles
Note that in Italian some prepositions and definite articles that come after them fuse together in one word. In movies and other places that people imitate fake Italian, usually use them frequently as “della” and “alla” and so on.
Learn change of articles as,
- il in attached form becomes : l.
- la in attached form becomes : lla.
- lo in attached form becomes : llo.
- l’ in attached form becomes : ll’.
- i in attached form remains as : i.
- le in attached form becomes : lle.
- gli in attached form remains as : gli.
Learn that the first set of articles mentioned in previous section () will attach to the attached form of articles. Among them
- di in attached form becomes de.
- in in attached form becomes ne.
- con in attached form becomes co.
- per in attached form becomes pe.
- others remain as they are.
Method 3 of 3: Conjunctions
Learn the most important conjunctions :
- and : et
- or : o
- but : ma
Learn conditional conjunctions :
- if : se
- then : allora
- so (therefore) : perciò
- well then (all right, hence) : ebbene
- therefore : dunque
Learn some other conjunction :
- because : perchè
- besides : inoltre
- since : siccome
- since : poichè
Learn more conjunctions :
- that : che
- when : quando
- while : mentre
- not only : non solo
- but also : ma anche
- as … as : così … come
- as … as : tanto … quanto